[obol] SAS Keizer Rapids Field Trip Summary

  • From: Mike Unger <unger730@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Blog <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 15:02:01 -0700

Hello Birders:

For today's Salem Audubon birding field trip at Keizer Rapids Park,
Barbara, Carolyn and I were joined by 9 others.  The group survived through
a brief shower or two but the consensus of the group was that it always
rains when Mike leads a walk.  But it was not a wash out by any stretch of
the imagination.  We walked 2 miles through three distinct habitats and
identified (saw or heard) a record 42 birds for Keizer Rapids Park!

After Keizer Rapids Park, six of us went to Country Glen Park in Keizer
which was quite nice even the sun showed through and there was no rain.  We
walked about one mile while identifying 23 species.

Most notable sightings:

·  Two *Sharp-shinned Hawks* in the Gallery Forest at Keizer Rapids;

·  Four *Osprey* over the river;

·  Two *Bald Eagles* flew by us in the north part of Keizer Rapids Park;

·  One *Cooper’s Hawk* at Keizer Rapids;

·  Two *Vaux’s Swifts* over the parking lot at Keizer Rapids just as we
were getting ready to leave;

·  Two *Rufous* and two *Anna’s* Hummingbirds at Country Glen Park.  The
Rufous Hummingbirds were getting nectar from some Hostas;

·  Two *Common Yellowthroats* at Country Glen Park that we got a good look
at.  (One female and a young one).  The female had a quite bright yellow
throat;

·  In general, *Cedar Waxwings* and *American Goldfinches* were the most
prevalent at Country Glen Park but the Western Scrub-Jays were the most
active and noisiest.

A complete list of today's birds follows.

*Our next SAS field trip will be at Minto-Brown Island Park on Wednesday,
August 6th at 7:30 a.m.*   Join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Checklist Summary for July 24, 2014 *
Number of Checklists: 2
Number of Species: 49

Checklists included in this summary:
(1): Keizer Rapids Park @ 7:20 AM
(2): Country Glen Park @ 11:10 AM

34 Canada Goose -- (1)
10 Mallard -- (1)
1 California Quail -- (1)
4 Great Blue Heron -- (1)
6 Turkey Vulture -- (1),(2)
4 Osprey -- (1)
2 Sharp-shinned Hawk -- (1)
1 Cooper's Hawk -- (1)
2 Bald Eagle -- (1)
3 Red-tailed Hawk -- (1)
1 Spotted Sandpiper -- (1)
10 Mourning Dove -- (1),(2)
2 Vaux's Swift -- (1)
2 Anna's Hummingbird -- (2)
2 Rufous Hummingbird -- (2)
2 Belted Kingfisher -- (1)
4 Downy Woodpecker -- (1),(2)
1 Northern Flicker -- (1)
1 Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) -- (2)
8 Western Wood-Pewee -- (1),(2)
3 Steller's Jay -- (1)
3 Western Scrub-Jay -- (1)
21 Western Scrub-Jay (Coastal) -- (1),(2)
2 American Crow -- (1)
8 Violet-green Swallow -- (1)
6 Barn Swallow -- (1),(2)
1 Cliff Swallow -- (1)