[obol] Re: RFI: Newport Jetty & Seal Rock

  • From: "Cindy Ashy" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "tunicate89@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 11:50:02 -0700

Hi John,

Tried to send this as a private message but it bounced back.

Black Oystercatchers nest at Yaquina Head, a BLM park on the far north end =
of Newport and they are present and obvious there year-round. You may even =
be able to catch chicks in August, although you'll likely be a little late.=
Other species that nest there include Common Murre, Pigeon Guillemot, Bran=
dt Cormorant, and Western Gull -- all easily viewable from observation plat=
forms. Have fun!

Cindy

 Subject: [obol] RFI: Newport Jetty & Seal Rock
 To: "Oregon Birders OnLine" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Date: Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 12:59 PM

 Hello Oregon birders
 - I'll be visiting Oregon for
 a few days at the end of August, primarily for the privilege
 of watching my South Dakota Coyote football team get
 humiliated by the Ducks.  Being an avid birder, there
 are many places in your state that I plan to visit.
 Two coastal places I will be visiting are the Newport jetty
 and Seal Rock.  I'm especially hoping to get a good
 photo of a black oystercatcher, but will take any other
 shorebirds that may be
 present. My question concerns
 timing regarding the tides.  My understanding is that
 Seal Rock would be best for shorebirds at a low tide - is
 that correct?  What would be the best time regarding
 tides at the Newport
  jetty? Any and all input will be
 gratefully accepted! John
 ClemFreeman, South