[obol] Northern Bobwhite in Lane County

  • From: Barbara Combs <bcombs232@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 21:36:10 -0700

Today I visited Goodpasture Road east of Leaburg dam.

While listening at its intersection with Martin Ridge Road, I heard the
call of a Northern Bobwhite.  At first I thought the locals were playing a
joke on me by playing the call because they could see I was birdwatching.
I kept looking, though, (and whistling back), and eventually a Northern
Bobwhite peered up at me from the roadside vegetation across the street.
There was a house there, set back from the road, but the bobwhite was
freely roaming around near the road, and was headed for the woods to the
east of the house.  I didn't want to put this on eBird because it may not
be part of a long-term colony in the area and is on the OBA list as
introduced and extirpated.  On the other hand, who else has birded this
exact location in the last 10 years?  In any event, here is the sighting
for the public record.  I did not see anyone to ask about the bird, though
there were cars in at least one driveway.

Barbara Combs   obie '70
Lane County, OR