[obol] Re: Mystery Peep

  • From: "Madeline Rae, DVM" <amazonvet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 23:14:18 -0700

Here are some more mystery peeps. These were at Ankeny on Saturday. Madeline is troubling herself way too much about these, and she needs some peace. My best hunch is that these are Western Sandpipers. We would appreciate any thoughts.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14723735@N08/9605791312/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14723735@N08/9602556765/in/photostream/

Max Rae
Salem, OR

On 8/26/2013 10:37 PM, Matthew G Hunter wrote:
Rhett, you said:
"...for any "lurkers" and/or beginners out there wanting the full conversation and consensus on this bird, it's a lightly-colored, fairly short-billed Western juvenile."

Perhaps I'm missing something. I looked at these photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boundtobird/9604076788/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/boundtobird/9604101582/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/boundtobird/9600860303/

These photos, to me, look like a normally colored juv Western Sandpiper, not lightly-colored, and with a noticeably long bill. I would guess it was a female; certainly in the range for one.

Compare the "lightness" and short bill length of this juv Western Sandpiper from the Umpqua Estuary a few days ago: http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/9590772493/. Without doubt, they (w sand's bills) get even shorter than this. This juv has a few basic gray feathers mixed in; I see one scapular and a few mantle feathers.

This makes me curious, do you have photos of the "7 or 8 westerns around it"????

Regards,

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR