[obol] My-oh-My-archus!

  • From: Jay Withgott <withgott@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 14:43:38 -0700

Stepped outside just now and had a Yucatan Flycatcher chasing a Dusky-capped
Flycatcher across the yard, while a La Sagra's Flycatcher squabbled with a
Swainson's Flycatcher in the shrubbery nearby.

... Just kidding. ... What a 1-2 you guys set up, Darrel and Mike!

I agree with Dave and Larry that Mike's bird looks to have the shape and bill
more of an Ash-throated or Nuttings. From the photos, the secondaries look
yellowish-white to me, and in some shots there seems to be a bit of cinnamon
bleeding into them while in other shots they look pure. (Cinnamon bleeding
would suggest Nuttings.) The two shots of the undertail make me lean slightly
toward Nuttings, but it can't really be seen clearly enough. Great that you
got these photos, Mike! Alas, this is a case where we'll need calendar-quality
shots of those field marks, and also recordings of the voice. Folks with huge
lenses and big fuzzy microphones, please help! And a feather or two collected
for DNA analysis wouldn't hurt, either.

Wow,

Jay

PS -- On a more pedestrian-by-now note, my little Pygmy Nuthatch is still in
Gabriel Park, SW Portland. A couple visiting from Ohio was on the bird this
morning just before 10 am as I approached, and it went through its piping
repertoire from the pines on the north side of the baseball fields, behind home
plate of Rocky Benevento Field.