[obol] Re: PHOTOS: Myiarchus flycatcher at Gearhart

  • From: Lawrence McQueen <larmcqueen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 14:10:53 -0700

Mike,

To weigh in early on the expected debate, I would like to give you my reaction
to the photos. To me, it looks like Ash-throated. The gray of the
throat/breast appears too pale for other N.A. Myiarchus. The bill is also too
slight for Brown-crested, I think. It’s good you got the under tail feature,
but the lighting makes it uncertain if the dark part extends across the tip. I
don’t think I have heard Ash-th. in fall and winter, or even if they are
different than the typical breeding calls.

That said, the calls you heard should support your ID, not my impressions, and
a learning experience for me.

Looking forward to the oncoming ‘debate’

Larry

On Oct 27, 2015, at 1:21 PM, Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I found a _Myiarchus_ flycatcher in dune scrub along the upper trail
at Little Beach, Gearhart. It was flycatching in the crab-apples and
blackberries along the access trail on Marion St, but the best area
for parking is at Wellington Access.

It was relatively cooperative, showed a habit of flying off or diving
for cover if crowded too closely. I managed some pretty good photos,
but it is a _Myiarchus_ and they can all look frustratingly similar.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mbalame/albums/72157658091528773

It called frequently with a soft "choook". Listening to calls for
all 4 likely _Myiarchus_ at Xeno-Canto, I find the BROWN-CRESTED
FLYCATCHER most closely matches what I heard.

http://www.xeno-canto.org/207035

I expect a healthy debate, however...

I left David Bailey and the Powells on site looking for it. I had
to come how and do housework.

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR