[obol] Maxwell Rd., Eugene - Solitary Sandpiper

  • From: Thomas Meinzen <thomasmeinzen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 18:55:52 -0700

I found a SOLITARY SANDPIPER this evening at the tiny wetland/pond along
Maxwell Rd. in Eugene east of the train tracks. It was foraging
side-by-side with a SPOTTED SANDPIPER for an excellent comparison of the
two species, and both were seen well from 15-20 feet away, feeding along
the edge of the pond. Also at this site was an adult GREEN HERON, a pair of
GADWALL, and two EVENING GROSBEAKS.

When I was at this pond a few days ago there was a RING-NECKED PHEASANT and
two pairs of WOOD DUCKS, one with 5 downy young. Although it's only an acre
or so across, this site's turning out to be well worth the few minutes it
takes to check out!

Good birding,
Thomas Meinzen
Eugene