[obol] Marion County Whimbrels and Black Terns

  • From: Jim Kopitzke <james.kopitzke63@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 12:35:56 -0700

I had a little time this morning to check out the Duckflat/Hunsaker. I
arrived at about 10:30 to find that Roy Gerig had arrived about 5 minutes
ahead of me.

After about 10 minutes watching and scoping, Roy noticed 2 Black Terns
flying northbound on the first pond that you come past all the trees to
from the north on Duckflat Road. I quickly got on them, and we watched them
for less than 10 minutes as they battled the wind. They then disappeared
not to be seen again.

Right about the time when they had left, I noticed to large shorebirds on
the next pond to the south. The heat waves made viewing details difficult,
but eventually they flew up and towards us heading northbound(never to be
seen again). As they flew past us, the decurved bills, brown plumage(not
cinnamon), and long pointed wings pegged them as Whimbrels.

As we left about 11:30, we checked out several of the ponds along Hunsaker
road in hopes of refinding some of these birds. We were rewarded with a
Greater Yellowlogs on the first pond east of the railroad tracks.

Jim Kopitzke
Salem