[obol] Long-tailed Ducks at Timothy Lake -- Yes

  • From: Tim Shelmerdine <tim.spanish.guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 17:19:46 -0800

Well, I may not be able to email him, but thanks to Joe Blowers, I added my
second bird in 2015 to my Clackamas County list. This follows a drought of
at least four years of no county birds in my home county. Getting to the
point, the two female LONG-TAILED DUCKS were still in the NW corner of
Timothy Lake around noon today (Saturday). Following the excellent
directions provided by Joe, I parked in the west parking area, then walked
north about 100 yards on the trail, before cutting down to the lake shore
and scoping north. The Long-tailed Ducks took a little patience, as they
spent most of their time under the water, and were tucked pretty close to
the north shoreline of the lake. A few other interesting birds included
COMMON LOONS, lingering EARED GREBES, HOODED and COMMON MERGANSERS. I saw
Dan van den Broek at a boat ramp, and he informed me that he had seen a
PACIFIC LOON further up the lake.
Today's weather was very decent, but last time I checked, weather will be
worse tomorrow. Any travel into the mountains this time of year should be
preceded by checking weather forecasts.
Cheers,
Tim