[obol] Hagg Lake White-winged Scoter (Washington Co)

  • From: Stefan Schlick <greenfant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "portland-area-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <portland-area-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 20:36:26 -0500

Fernhill Wetlands south of Forest Grove was kind of slow mid morning. The only
highlight was a Black Phoebe near the shack at NE corner of the large pond.
Hagg Lake was a little bit more interesting: At the first stop (Elks) I found a
somewhat odd-looking WHITE-WINGED SCOTER. I refound the bird later from Rec
Area A. There were no other scoters (there are often female-type Surf Scoters
present this time of the year), but 3 Eared Grebes, a flock of ~8 Western
Bluebird, an American Pipit, an American Dipper (Scoggins Creek picnic area)
and 3 Greater Scaup (Rec Area C) were all pretty decent birds. The oddest
sighting of the day was a large dark bird that scuttled across the road before
disappearing into the woods which ended up being an injured Turkey Vulture.
Stefan SchlickHillsboro, OR