[obol] Re: Lincoln County - confirmation (or correction) on Cooper's Hawk ID

  • From: roger freeman <carrotguy55@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "d_villa@xxxxxxxx" <d_villa@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 18:51:34 -0700

For what it's worth, since there has been a nice thread related to field
guides .... The eyebrow and small beak seem to match Sibleys to a "T" for
juvenile Sharpie. Unless, he chose to de-emphasize those field marks on
the juvenile Coopers. Looking at the second edition. Definitely hard to
read scale from the photos.

Roger Freeman

On Friday, October 23, 2015, dawn v <d_villa@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I posted a few photos on Oregon Birding Association Photos facebook group
and have gotten a question about the ID. I have six photos:

http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/villaesc/media/Birds/2015/IMG_1069_1_zps63s0l1lx.jpg.html

http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/villaesc/media/Birds/2015/IMG_1061_1_zpsrg9qvd8e.jpg.html
(click "next" or the right arrow to view more)

It flushed when I was pishing for Marsh Wrens - it flew out of some scrub,
crossed the road I was on and landed in a 8-10' tree. After posing for
pictures, it flew away and dove into the reeds but didn't come back up
while I was there.

The question asked was, in part "I only ask because this bird, with no
size comparison, I would think "Sharp-shinned" due to the (to my eye)
rounded head and classic 'bug-eyed look'. I can't really get a sense of the
head coloring to the nape, since it can be off in photos sometimes, nor the
tail tips"

My response: Here are my thoughts (I don't know all the technical terms).
The speckling on the belly is tear-drop shaped, the tail is long and has a
wide strip of white at the end. The second photo shows the flatness of the
head, in my opinion. As for the eyes, juvenile Cooper's [can] have that
wide-eyed look similar to a Sharpie, developing the scowl later in life I
believe.

Hoping I'm not showing my ignorance but willing to learn... Thank you!

dawn v
Lincoln City/Nelscott

"To want what I have, to take what I'm given with grace... for this, I
pray." --Don Henley
OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol Manage your account or
obol-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','obol-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx');>