[obol] Re: Lincoln County - confirmation (or correction) on Cooper's Hawk ID

  • From: "Deb Holland" <deborah.holland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, dawn v <d_villa@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 09:39:07 -0700

Very nice photos.
I think that this bird is a Sharp-shinned Hawk.
Looking at the top photo-link, second photo, I see a small headed bird with big
eyes.  There is reddish brown streaking extending from the breast through the
belly.  On the bird's head is a solid rusty brown patch in the auriculars.

Birdfellow (Birdfellow.com) has some identification photos that illustrate
these features on a Sharp-shinned.  #4 photo, by Shawneen Finnegan shows a
solid rusty auricular patch.  #3 photo, by David Irons, show the reddish
streaking from breast through belly.

Compare this to the (Birdfellow) photos of Cooper's Hawk.  Photo #6, by David
Irons, shows narrow chocolate streaks on the breast that grow sparser on the
belly.  Photos #12, #16 and #17, also by David Irons, show auricular patches
that are not solidly rusty brown.

Deb Holland
Newport

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 02:49:39 +0200, dawn v wrote:

I posted a few photos on Oregon Birding Association Photos facebook group
and have gotten a question about the ID. I have six photos:

http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/villaesc/media/Birds/2015/IMG_1069_1_zps63s0l1lx.jpg.html
http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/villaesc/media/Birds/2015/IMG_1061_1_zpsrg9qvd8e.jpg.html
(click "next" or the right arrow to view more)

It flushed when I was pishing for Marsh Wrens - it flew out of some scrub,
crossed the road I was on and landed in a 8-10' tree. After posing for
pictures, it flew away and dove into the reeds but didn't come back up while I
was there.

The question asked was, in part "I only ask because this bird, with no size
comparison, I would think "Sharp-shinned" due to the (to my eye) rounded head
and classic 'bug-eyed look'. I can't really get a sense of the head coloring to
the nape, since it can be off in photos sometimes, nor the tail tips"

My response: Here are my thoughts (I don't know all the technical terms). The
speckling on the belly is tear-drop shaped, the tail is long and has a wide
strip of white at the end. The second photo shows the flatness of the head, in
my opinion. As for the eyes, juvenile Cooper's [can] have that wide-eyed look
similar to a Sharpie, developing the scowl later in life I believe.

Hoping I'm not showing my ignorance but willing to learn... Thank you!

dawn v
Lincoln City/Nelscott

"To want what I have, to take what I'm given with grace... for this, I pray."
--Don Henley
OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol Manage your account or
obol-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx