[obol] Leach Botanical Garden - Avifauna & lots of Flora

  • From: Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 13:23:01 -0700

Things are keeping me close to home this season so I am wringing what I can
out of the local patches. If you've not been, Leach Botanical Garden can be
very enchanting. While I have enjoyed familiarizing myself with the
grounds, and getting acquainted with the friendly staff, I have also been
very disappointed by the failure/abandonment of three nests there.  The
first, an Anna's Hummingbird nest, then the well known Cooper's Hawk nest,
and finally the Pacific-slope Flycatcher that chose build its nest a few of
feet above a narrow, heavily trafficked walkway. Yesterday, I believe, she
finally had enough of the commotion and left her nest for good, leaving
behind four perfectly good unhatched eggs. I've gone from being excited
about possibly sharing three (nearly) simultaneous nestling/fledgling
stories all in proximity to each other, to (frankly) feeling a bit
depressed and thinking I should just shelve my photos of the place. I woke
up today somewhere between those two extremes, so I decided that I should
finish what I started.

We hope you enjoy the photos:
http://www.jack-n-jill.net/blog/2014/6/leach-botanical-garden---avifauna-lots-of-flora

--