[obol] Turkey Vultures and wing tags - Illinois Valley, Josephine Co.

  • From: Romain Cooper <romain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 08:05:21 -0700

A Black-Tailed Deer (doe) of our "local herd" died (perhaps of fawn-birth - no sign of wound or struggle & it's that season). Vultures took advantage & began feeding on the deer. 9 vultures were the max I counted. On about the 2nd night an animal (presumably a bear) drug the carcass to a spot about 150 yds. away.

At this point, we set up a trail camera (video mode) on the dead deer. Many videos showing different TV behaviors. At a certain point, a TV with a wing tag (marked "E3". Black letters/ numerals on a yellow background. On left wing.) was part of several videos.

Wondering who's doing the vulture tagging ? I vaguely remember an obol message on the subject.

Thank you,    Romain

Romain Cooper
10398 Takilma Road
Cave Junction, OR 97523