[obol] Coos Wilson's Phalaropes 6/15/2014

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 14:17:18 -0700

Went out to the old Weyerhaeuser pond site on the north spit of Coos Bay
this morning to see if there were WILSON'S PHALAROPES attempting to nest
again this year.  I saw about 5 birds, one one female and two to four
males.  I suspect there are at least three nests at this point, we'll see
if any fledge in July.  This species bred at the site from 2003 until 2009,
then again last year and looks like this year also.  Once this site becomes
completely overgrown by willows (just a few years off), this species will
probably disappear as a breeder from Coos County so I am enjoying their
presence while it lasts!

Merry summertime all,
Tim R
Coos Bay