[obol] Re: Jackson Bottom Wetlands Sandhill Cranes

  • From: Steve Engel <Steve.Engel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 16:35:24 -0700

Two Sandhill Cranes were observed on the east side of Wapato Marsh between 1030
and 1130 this morning.  They were easily visible from the road in the area of
the bird blind on the west side of the marsh.  They were foraging and preening
in very close proximity to one another.  Efforts made to see them in same
general area around 2:30pm were not successful.  Sandhill Cranes have been
observed flying over the Bottom before during spring or fall migrations but
previously the only on-the-ground record we have is of 3 birds in Nov. 2012
(apologies, I don't have the name of that observer handy).  Laura Trunk first
spotted the birds this morning.

Steve Engel, Recreation Program Supervisor
Jackson Bottom Wetlands Preserve | Parks and Recreation Department
2600 SW Hillsboro Hwy., Hillsboro, OR 97123
Phone:  503-681-6283 |fax 503-681-6277
email:  steve.engel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web:  www.jacksonbottom.org