[obol] Re: I need help bird Identification of two birds Sisters area

  • From: Brandon Green <brandon.green18@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 19:49:02 -0700

I agree with Jack that the second bird is a WW Pewee.

The ID of the first bird seems less straightforward to me.  The coloring of
the crown is intense, but I'm not seeing a strong contrast with the nape
that I'd expect for Cassin's (tough to see with the photo angles).  The
bill appears to be on the short side, suggesting Purple Finch.  On the
other hand, I'm seeing less raspberry coloring on the wings and streaking
on the flanks than I would expect for a Purple Finch.  I lean towards
Purple, with some reservations.

Cassin's Finches are relatively easy to find in the Sisters area.  I don't
recall seeing Purple out there, but I'm sure they're around.

Brandon
Eugene