[obol] Re: I need help bird Identification of two birds Sisters area

  • From: Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, James Leonard <photojleonard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 18:29:32 -0700

Understanding the "Status & Distribution" of both species aids a great deal
in their identification.

First bird:
Dark cheek color, straight culmen, unstreaked reddish flank (first
picture), and a common inhabitant of the area equals PURPLE FINCH

Second bird:
Lack of eye ring, dark upper mandible matched with a slightly paler lower
mandible with a dark tip, nest placed in the fork of a horizontal branch,
and the riparian area equals WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE

Having said all that, I will be happy to stand corrected if anything I've
observed about these two birds is incorrect. Everyone on this list knows
this - especially given my latest streak of purely bone-headed (mistaken)
identities.

--
Jack Williamson
West Linn, Oregon