[obol] Hybrid Grebes?

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 22:41:44 -0800

Hi Folks,
A little over a week ago, in Salmon Harbor, Winchester Bay, I took these
photographs of two "Western" Grebes that looked like likely hybrid Western
x Clark's Grebes. They seemed to hang out with each other among the larger
group of 15-20 "normal" Western Grebes ... What was interesting to me
regarding their appearance is that the birds were very different from each
other, but both appeared like hybrids to me for different reasons.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/22903012280
https://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/22571727893

Left bird: noticeably smaller than the bird on the right. Eye looked 90%
positioned in white. Bill fairly brightly colored, but rather small. Black
on back of neck not narrow like Clark's

Right bird: quite large. Eye placed in large patch of gray between black
cap and white below. Bill large, but dull. (So, shape to me more like
Clark's.) Black on back of neck, again, fairly thick, not narrow like
Clark's.

Other Western Grebes in vicinity (not pictured), intermediate in size
compared to these two, more black around eye than either of these birds,
dull bill like large presumed hybrid, thick black on back of neck like both
these birds.

Your thoughts?

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR