[obol] Emperor goose and egrets

  • From: Bobbett Pierce <ensatina3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 07:55:39 +0000

I luckily ran into two birders just arriving at the Crown Zellerbach trail east
of Scappoose as I was leaving. They told me about seeing the Emperor Goose off
Honeyman Road, so I drove the short distance to try my luck. It was easy to
find -- and first for me! It was a beautiful little goose not far from the
road, and paid no attention to our car. There were several egrets nearby, and
one flew over and landed a few feet from the goose. The goose didn't seem to
like being crowded by the egret, and after a few minutes both flew off. They
headed toward the sharp corner with large pullover a half mile away on
Honeyman. We drove over to that that site and scanned all the open fields
there: lots of egrets and gulls, birds of prey and a flock of grazing cacklers,
but couldn't spot the Emperor goose again. It was probably there somewhere!
Just before dusk this is a good spot to also look for owls.

Lona Pierce