[obol] Habitat mitigation for BUOW

  • From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 09:58:48 -0800

*************

   Burrowing Owls are varied in their life strategies. Some are sedentary,
others migrate over a thousand miles one way. Bill Thackaberry covered the
Corvallis CBC sector closest to the owl we are talking about . He had that
sector for 0ver fifty years and at some point was told the Linn County BUOW
nested around Spokane. I'm not aware of breeding in the Willamette Basin, but
that part of Linn County would be the likely spot if they did. My father
travelled extensively in the state while mapping soils. He reported BUOW at
Camas Swale, near Creswell, in the 60s. He seemed to remember them in the
summer, and definitely near culverts. But the accumulation of decades of data
in the mind can lead to some fuzzy facts.
      Burrowing Owls have long thrived in prairie dog "towns". Something like
one percent  of the original area occupied by dog towns remains. Then I read on
this list that badger dens are important to them, and those too have been
largely eliminated. I might add that Mountain Plover are also a bit of a
dogtown "obligate" and I read in High Country News that their world population
is down to 6000. This is a very rare winter visitor to exactly the same parts
of the Willamette Valley that BUOW frequent. I imagine we'd see them more often
if there were more prairie dogs in Wyoming. Burrowing Owls were regular at the
Yaquina South Jetty in the 70s. After a complete hiatus of decades there has
been a weak level of detections at sandy parts of the central coast the past
few years.
      I strongly suspect that conditions on the breeding grounds is the main
factor for their demise. Does the understated resurgence at the coast mean
anything? So many other species have declined, with varying degrees of public
interest, Meadowlarks for instance. I don't know if any human responses here on
the wintering grounds will make a difference, but the vast majority of BUOW
breeding occurs on public lands and has the potential for improvement.    Lars