[obol] Re: Great Crested still present 5:30 P.M. 10/27

  • From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 5hats@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 18:53:18 -0700

Hi Darrel and all,

That's were Oscar and I saw it around 3:30-3:50 this afternoon. It wasn't
calling the entire time we were there, and it was hard to spot way up in
those trees. Glad Tristen Hynes and Tom Crabtree were there to put us on
the new location, otherwise we might have searched the original place in
vain.

Awesome find, Darrel! Glad you convinced the bird to stay overnight. :)

Hendrik

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 6:45 PM, <5hats@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

But it had moved south 2/10 mile and was foraging in some tall alders in a
wooded canyon right at the one mile marker, south side of road. I'm
guessing it will roost near there tonight. If it is still around in the
morning best bet would be to hang around the area and listen for its
calls. But be aware the bird can go awol for several hours at a stretch.
When it does call, it usually does so vigorously for five or six minutes.
The place where it was last sighted makes it much more challenging to see
than when it was further north. Also be aware that the location where it
was last seen is not on our property, and all birding from the one mile
marker back toward the highway will of necessity need to be done from the
county road. Hope some of you can find it again tomorrow.

Darrel..

--
Hendrik G. Herlyn