[obol] Great Crested still present 5:30 P.M. 10/27

  • From: 5hats@xxxxxxxx
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 18:45:32 -0700 (PDT)

But it had moved south 2/10 mile and was foraging in some tall alders in a
wooded canyon right at the one mile marker, south side of road. I'm guessing it
will roost near there tonight. If it is still around in the morning best bet
would be to hang around the area and listen for its calls. But be aware the
bird can go awol for several hours at a stretch. When it does call, it usually
does so vigorously for five or six minutes. The place where it was last sighted
makes it much more challenging to see than when it was further north. Also be
aware that the location where it was last seen is not on our property, and all
birding from the one mile marker back toward the highway will of necessity need
to be done from the county road. Hope some of you can find it again tomorrow.

Darrel..