[obol] Re: Gearhart Myiarchus - my analysis

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 19:06:16 -0700

Mike et al.,

I would not put much stock in Roberson's "article" on visually separating
Ash-throated and Nutting's. The consensus is that bird he uses to make his case
for Nutting's is actually an Ash-throated. The fact that what would be a useful
article isn't published anywhere but on his personal blog should be an
indicator of it's reliability. I received a note from a good friend who is in
the process of writing authoritative article on this topic. He has seen photos
of the Gearhart bird and sees no reason to think it isn't an Ash-throated.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 27, 2015, at 4:50 PM, Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I went back and measured the rail I photographed the bird on and
the did a bit of photo-metrics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mbalame/22516519292

The bird is simply too small to be a Brown-crested Flycatcher.

It is also (arguably) too small for Ash-throated, but not by much.

However, if we are to believe:
http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/nuttingfly-id.html

and examine:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mbalame/22541497361

We should be able to sort this out. I am admittedly color sight
challenged when it comes to red and green, but I see yellow in the
middle group of flight feathers and my daughter concurs.

Discuss...

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR