[obol] Re: Gearhart Myiarchus - my analysis

  • From: Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 19:31:26 -0700

I had already reach the personal conclusion that, unless someone
can find it and force it to talk (or drop some feathers) it's
going on my list as _Myiarchus sp._

Given the weather forecast for tomorrow, I don't hold out much
hope for anyone else finding it...

David Irons wrote:

Mike et al.,

I would not put much stock in Roberson's "article" on visually
separating Ash-throated and Nutting's. The consensus is that bird he
uses to make his case for Nutting's is actually an Ash-throated. The
fact that what would be a useful article isn't published anywhere but
on his personal blog should be an indicator of it's reliability. I
received a note from a good friend who is in the process of writing
authoritative article on this topic. He has seen photos of the
Gearhart bird and sees no reason to think it isn't an Ash-throated.

Dave Irons Portland, OR

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 27, 2015, at 4:50 PM, Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I went back and measured the rail I photographed the bird on and
the did a bit of photo-metrics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mbalame/22516519292

The bird is simply too small to be a Brown-crested Flycatcher.

It is also (arguably) too small for Ash-throated, but not by much.

However, if we are to believe:
http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/nuttingfly-id.html

and examine: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mbalame/22541497361

We should be able to sort this out. I am admittedly color sight
challenged when it comes to red and green, but I see yellow in the
middle group of flight feathers and my daughter concurs.

Discuss...

-- Mike Patterson Astoria, OR The history of photons
http://www.surfbirds.com/community-blogs/northcoastdiaries/?p=3005

OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol Manage your account
moderators: obol-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx