[obol] Re: From Many, One: How Many Species of Redpolls Are There?

  • From: Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 07:55:53 -0700

Seems to me it comes down to debate about when a species becomes a
species. The current belief is that Common and Hoary do not hybridize
much. So if they consider themselves separate , who are we to argue. The
crossbill problem seems to me to be similar. Are there 10 crossbills
slowly becoming species? For that matter are the large white-headed gulls
simply a few generations ahead of the redpolls and crossbills?

Bob Archer

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

This is a load off my mind...

<http://blog.allaboutbirds.org/2015/03/30/from-many-one-
how-many-species-of-redpolls-are-there/?ct=t(The_CLUE_
March_2015)&mc_cid=f41033b97d&mc_eid=1bb0e50835>

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR