[obol] Re: From Many, One: How Many Species of Redpolls Are There?

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 18:57:30 -0700

Rats, there goes my best "human waste composting facility" life bird!

But so far as the myth of Hoary Redpoll as a separate species kept me
sitting out in a wire- and weed-stalks blind on our Minnesota farm,
waiting for the big flock of redpolls feeding on our screenings pile to
come in and perch close enough to for a kid with no binoculars to sort
them out, I count it as a myth that enriched my life.

It took another 30 years before I found a few feeding on weeds that were
growing around the edges of the municipal sludge piles in Uppsala,
Sweden.

As for Lesser Redpolls, alas, I never knew ye were a species!

Happy birding,
Joel

--
Joel Geier