[obol] Finley NWR briefly - Benton Co.

  • From: "Marcia F. Cutler" <marciafcutler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mid-Valley Birders <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 18:00:48 -0800

A short trip to Finley NWR late this afternoon yielded the following highlights.

A single WILSON'S SNIPE close to Bruce road in a field between the railroad
track and McFadden Marsh, there were scattered KILLDEER and a GREAT EGRET in
the field too. McFadden Marsh had plenty of ducks (primarily MALLARDS, NORTHERN
PINTAIL and a few AM. WIGEON) geese and over 200 TUNDRA SWANS towards the
north end. Further west on Bruce Rd. I saw several ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS and a
total of 4 BALD EAGLES. A covey of 9 CALIFORNIA QUAIL on the road, mostly
youngsters, was particularly unwary of approaching cars.

At the Prairie Overlook, I saw 3 SHORT-EARED OWLS flying around.

Marcia F. Cutler
Corvallis