[obol] Eugene Yard Birds

  • From: Thomas Meinzen <thomasmeinzen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2015 12:37:11 -0700

Two gorgeous male EVENING GROSBEAKS showed up at our feeders this Easter
morning. What a splendid surprise! The PURPLE FINCHES that appeared last
weekend have continued all week at the feeders—both of these are very
unusual here. RED CROSSBILLS have been in flocks overhead this week, and
migrant ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS, GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS, and swallows have
been in evidence here. Also had an immature SHARP-SHINNED HAWK come
through. BEWICK'S WRENs are nesting out back, I think, in an old trailer
hoist in the neighbor's yard, and there's a COOPER'S HAWK pair nesting in a
sycamore on my route to school.

Good birding and happy Easter!
Thomas Meinzen
Eugene