[obol] Eugene Yard Birds

  • From: Thomas Meinzen <thomasmeinzen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 12:54:33 -0700

It's been an incredibly active morning here in our suburban north Eugene
yard. Here are the most notable birds:

PURPLE FINCH - 5, three males and two females, the most we've had ever.
They've been singing in the trees and at the feeders all day.
CHIPPING SPARROW - 2, annual here at best
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, only get this species once or twice in spring here
ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, first spring migrant in the yard
PINE SISKIN - 20, more than usual

A pair of BC Chickadees is excavating a hole in a rotten stub of our oak
tree, despite the fact that the branch broke off at the hole they'd made.
They're still working! And a pair of Bushtits have just about finished
their nest in the Doug-fir nearby.

Great to be back in Eugene after an amazing camping trip to Zion National
Park!
Happy spring,
Thomas Meinzen
Eugene