[obol] Eugene Yard Birds

  • From: Thomas Meinzen <thomasmeinzen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 12:52:25 -0800

It's been a great morning in the yard. It started off with a small flock of
robins and CEDAR WAXWINGS eating berries from our mountain ash. Then an
immature SHARP-SHINNED HAWK swooped in to try to catch a waxwing, but was
unsuccessful and perched in our maple tree for a little while, allowing
great views. In the back garden, sparrows abounded with a high count of 9
FOX SPARROWS, the most I've ever observed here. They've been almost as
common as juncos these snow days. Also in the sparrow mix were 2
WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS, included a bright White-striped individual, the
first we've observed of this morph in our yard. Altogether, the morning
yard count so far is 24 species.

Good birding,
Thomas Meinzen
Eugene