[obol] ECAS winter raptor route, Drewsey, Harney county

  • From: jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: cobol <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 03:15:40 +0000

Eagle mania! Yes, 75% of birds seen today were eagles. Well, perhaps partly because of periods of poor visibility with blowing snow, strong winds, etc. Maybe smaller birds just took cover, stayed inside trees, etc.

Despite gnarly weather, it was a pretty good count, 4.5 hours, 70.3 miles, total 40 raptors. I will have to confer with the coordinator, Jeff Fleischer, re whether any could be duplicates.

4 Red-tailed Hawks

2 Northern Harriers

19 Bald Eagles, 4 Adults, 15 subadults. I did find 2 places where carcasses attracted multiple birds, about 20 miles apart.

11 Golden Eagles, a few at each carcass

4 Rough-legged Hawks

Zero, any accip, falcons, owls.

Leucistic Red-tail continues along hwy 20 east, east of Harper, at Cottonwood Creek crossing. No close look at eye, but an albino perhaps, although there is a hint of tan on folded wing.

Good birding, Judy, jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx