[obol] Curry Migrants 3/16/2015

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 04:47:33 -0700

I found an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER at Floras Lake on Monday in the parking
area.  It was calling but not singing.  Since I have never seen this
species in this area in the winter, but have seen lots of them during
migration and during the breeding season, I suspect it is an early
migrant.  I usually do not notice the Orange-crowneds on the Coos coast
until the last few days of March when they are invariably singing.
Sometimes this species is reported singing in early March or even late
February and I wonder if people are confusing the Dark-eyed Junco song with
Orange-crowned? A couple weeks back, on our local Audubon trip, I pointed
out a singing Junco, and someone said- "oh the bird that sounds like an
Orange-crowned".  Not to me though, juncoes sound more like Chipping
Sparrows....

Knute Andersson had a PURPLE FINCH at his feeder this past weekend, and
another single about two weeks ago. This is another species that should
arrive on the Coos coast in fair number any day now, most years when they
show up I hear multiple birds suddenly singing.  Any day now.

Caspian Terns should appear any day now also.  The first birds usually
by-pass us and head straight up to the Columbia, but I expect to hear one
or two in the bay soon.

Common Yellowthroats about a week or so from showing too.

Oh, this is the best time for migrant Say's Phoebe on the south coast, from
now through early April.

Merry springtime!
Tim R
Coos Bay