[obol] Coos Varied Thrush, Wash-ups, Sanderlings

  • From: Daniel Farrar <jdanielfarrar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 16:56:28 -0700

OBOL,
   Yesterday at Spinreel campground, Coos county I saw a VARIED THRUSH.
Had not seen them on the outer coast in a week or two.
   Today in the wrack line I found a WILSON'S WARBLER and right next to it
a GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW, no doubt casualties of last weekends unusual
weather, at Tenmile Creek mouth.  I got a report of a wash up grosbeak in
Coos, but did not get an exact location.  I have been scanning the wrack
for passerines since Monday and these are the first wash ups that I have
spotted.
    Interestingly I found a wash up WESTERN SANDPIPER and a DUNLIN not too
far from each other near Tahkenitch creek mouth on Friday May 3.  Very
beautiful breeding plumage up close.
    Lastly I saw a flock of 500ish SANDERLINGS with just a few Dunlin and
Westerns at Oregon Dunes Overlook, Douglas county.  In the last two weeks I
have had very low Sanderling numbers on the beach, while the Dunlin and
Westerns have been spectacular.  Not too far away was a RUDDY TURNSTONE
with several BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS.

Daniel Farrar
Dunes City, Oregon
jdanielfarrar@xxxxxxxxx