[obol] Re: Coos Varied Thrush, Wash-ups, Sanderlings

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 19:41:07 -0700

We had a wash up PACIFIC- SLOPE FLYCATCHER at New River Coo Cty yesterday.

My dentist said he was on his boat about 7 miles off Horsfall SP on Sunday orning and had a small passerine land on the boat and stay with him for a little while. He doesn't know his birds.

Cheers
Dave Lauten

On 5/8/2013 4:56 PM, Daniel Farrar wrote:
OBOL,
Yesterday at Spinreel campground, Coos county I saw a VARIED THRUSH. Had not seen them on the outer coast in a week or two. Today in the wrack line I found a WILSON'S WARBLER and right next to it a GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW, no doubt casualties of last weekends unusual weather, at Tenmile Creek mouth. I got a report of a wash up grosbeak in Coos, but did not get an exact location. I have been scanning the wrack for passerines since Monday and these are the first wash ups that I have spotted. Interestingly I found a wash up WESTERN SANDPIPER and a DUNLIN not too far from each other near Tahkenitch creek mouth on Friday May 3. Very beautiful breeding plumage up close. Lastly I saw a flock of 500ish SANDERLINGS with just a few Dunlin and Westerns at Oregon Dunes Overlook, Douglas county. In the last two weeks I have had very low Sanderling numbers on the beach, while the Dunlin and Westerns have been spectacular. Not too far away was a RUDDY TURNSTONE with several BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS.

Daniel Farrar
Dunes City, Oregon
jdanielfarrar@xxxxxxxxx <http://gmail.com>