[obol] Coos Birds 10/24/2015

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 19:14:26 -0700

Led a local Audubon trip out on the N. Spit this AM. Unfortunately there
was no sign of the Tropical-K from yesterday. Maybe it was a different
bird from early October, seems like maybe so.

We did see some terns across the bay and went over to Empire where we had
35+ ELEGANT TERNS. This has been the best year on record for them in Coos.
Also several 1st year BONAPARTE'S GULLS. The RED CROSSBILLS were
everywhere, good fall for them (over my house and everywhere around town
also). Also a striking white leucistic MEW GULL, and lots of them in
general today (CA Gulls everywhere also). No Evening Grosbeaks here, how
different from the valley...

I heard from Bob Fields that he had a N. SHRIKE after we left the spit, to
bad we missed it. Right about on time for the first fall migrants.

Merry migration!
Tim R
Coos Bay