[obol] Re: Common Murre

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Janet Kelly <chamkell@xxxxxxx>, OBOL Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 08:41:47 -0700

Janet,

The bird is out of the water because it chooses to be out of the water because it is not well. Putting it back in the water is not necessarily "where it does want to be" (that is a human reaction, and we certainly cannot ask the murre how it feels). Murres do want to be in the water, but when they are not it is because they are unhealthy and have chosen not to be in the water. Forcing it back into the water is not helping it. Furthermore, touching and harassing the bird is illegal. I am sorry that this might make some people uncomfortable, but in this case according to Thom the bird was being harassed by beach goers (he wrote me privately). What's disrespectful is what some of the people did to it, and it is certainly not disrespectful to leave it alone. I am a professional biologist, I have worked on the beach for 20 years, this is a rather common event. It is best to leave these birds alone unless you know a professional who has the permits to deal with birds.

Cheers
Dave Lauten

On 10/3/2015 8:10 AM, Janet Kelly wrote:

In Response: We as humans help wildlife all the time, spending millions of dollars to ensure their survival ( example: building structures, fish ladders, removing dams, saving stranded whales etc.). It couldn’t be any worse for it to just pick the bird up quickly and gently, no harassment and put it back in the water, where it does want to be, and let it go. It would not ensure it’s survival but it could save it also and allowing it to suffer like a fish out of water is disrespectful of a life.

Janet Kelly

Medford