[obol] Re: Common Murre

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 13:55:34 -0700

Hello Thom

Moribund Common Murres are fairly common on the beach, especially near nesting areas (although it is late for that). Unfortunately there are not enough rehab centers to take all the individuals in, and we should all be aware that nature needs to take it's course and it is survival of the fittest, no matter how difficult that is for some of us to accept.

With that said, anyone harassing the bird is breaking the law. The birds are protected under various federal and state laws, they should be left alone, and no one should be attempting to return it to the water. Returning to the water does not ensure its survival, and if it wants to be in the water, it would be. It is out of the water for a reason.

While I understand people want to help, most times help like this just makes the matter worse. The bird is already stressed. And I don't mean to be mean, but ignorance does the bird no good.

Cheers
Dave Lauten

On 10/2/2015 12:39 PM, Thom wrote:

At Cannon Beach (Haystack Rock) around 11am today, low tide. An adult common
murre was stranded on land in low tide. As you can imagine, it became a picture
taking fiasco; so, I told folks to stop and let him get back to water.

A couple guys insisted on forcing it to walk and even pushed it with their
hands to get him to move; such ignorance but understand the allure.

Anyway, how often does this occur? Is it common?

By the time he got to water he was exhausted. Should I have picked him up and
moved him to water?

He eventually caught a wave back to the Sea and I believe he was home again.

-tom