[obol] Re: Common Murre

  • From: Janet Kelly <chamkell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 15:10:47 +0000

In Response: We as humans help wildlife all the time,
spending millions of dollars to ensure their survival ( example: building
structures, fish ladders, removing dams, saving stranded whales etc.). It
couldn’t be any worse for it to just pick the bird up quickly and gently, no
harassment and put it back in the water, where it does want to be, and let it
go. It would not ensure it’s survival but it could save it also and allowing it
to suffer like a fish out of water is disrespectful of a life.

Janet Kelly

Medford

Subject: [obol] Re: Common Murre
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 13:55:34 -0700

Hello Thom

Moribund Common Murres are fairly common on the beach, especially near
nesting areas (although it is late for that). Unfortunately there are
not enough rehab centers to take all the individuals in, and we should
all be aware that nature needs to take it's course and it is survival of
the fittest, no matter how difficult that is for some of us to accept.

With that said, anyone harassing the bird is breaking the law. The birds
are protected under various federal and state laws, they should be left
alone, and no one should be attempting to return it to the water.
Returning to the water does not ensure its survival, and if it wants to
be in the water, it would be. It is out of the water for a reason.

While I understand people want to help, most times help like this just
makes the matter worse. The bird is already stressed. And I don't
mean to be mean, but ignorance does the bird no good.

Cheers
Dave Lauten

On 10/2/2015 12:39 PM, Thom wrote:
At Cannon Beach (Haystack Rock) around 11am today, low tide. An adult
common murre was stranded on land in low tide. As you can imagine, it
became a picture taking fiasco; so, I told folks to stop and let him get
back to water.

A couple guys insisted on forcing it to walk and even pushed it with their
hands to get him to move; such ignorance but understand the allure.

Anyway, how often does this occur? Is it common?

By the time he got to water he was exhausted. Should I have picked him up
and moved him to water?

He eventually caught a wave back to the Sea and I believe he was home again.

-tom