[obol] Re: Columbia Estuary Report - 10/25/2015

  • From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 21:02:36 -0700

While Herring Gulls are mostly a minority gull in Oregon in winter, they can be
very abundant in central California. I think those birds pass through Oregon
now. I recall large flocks of Herring/Thayer's at McMinnville early one
November. I think Phil has reported large numbers in mid-fall at Siletz Bay.
Several years i'd spot the first gull of fall in Banks and find it to be a
Herring instead of the more abundant Olympics. I would also guess the Thayer's
we're seeing now are not the ones we see in December and January. Small numbers
of Thayer's are regular in Baja California Norte every winter. I'd guess those
might be trickling through right now. Lars
On Oct 25, 2015, at 7:39 PM, Alan Contreras wrote:

I’m surprised at how many Herring Gulls are present already. I associate
them with winter bad weather, but in fact I don’t really know their fall
occurrence patterns very well.

Alan Contreras
acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

On Oct 25, 2015, at 7:36 PM, Phil Pickering <philliplc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

plenty of pink-footed gulls down from Alaska

And Canada, assuming the large numbers of fall adult
Herring that come off the ocean in tight flocks mixed
almost exclusively with large pale adult California
Gulls are Canadian nesters staging with the Cals.
A mixed flock of over 1000 was hanging out in Siletz
Bay today.

Phil