[obol] Columbia Estuary Report - 10/25/2015

  • From: Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'OBOL' <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, swalalahos <swalalahos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 18:44:41 -0700

Columbia Estuary Report - 10/25/2015

Most of the real interesting stuff has been on the Washington side of
the river including the continuing BAR-TAILED GODWIT, a MAGNOLIA WARBLER
up in Raymond, and two TROPICAL KINGBIRDS and a PALM WARBLER at Chinook
Valley.

Two WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCHES were reported to eBird Saturday. I could
not find them (in the rain) today. I have never seen White-breasted
Nuthatch in the county.

I saw an unidentified passerine Saturday at the Ft Stevens Historical
Area. It was the size of a sparrow with a pale, conical bill, dark
crown, pale throat, dark back with one and maybe two wing-bars and a
buffy or pale orange breast. I got only the briefest of looks before it
disappeared. I've put out seed in the spot where I saw it last. There is also a nearly white FOX SPARROW hanging out near the parking area at the Hammond Boat Basin.

I've been seeing lots of MERLINS. ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS at Sunset Beach and the Astoria Airport.

Seawatches from various locations have been generally disappointing. There were no fewer than 75 HARLEQUIN DUCKS along the edge of Seaside Cove between the parking lot and the point (2km walking) and a flyby
flock of 7 OLD-TAILED DUCKS. No tubenoses close enough in to get any kind of ID on. BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES, BONAPARTE'S GULLS, and plenty
of pink-footed gulls down from Alaska.

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR