[obol] Re: Charismatic megafauna in urbanized areas, really?

  • From: Darrel Faxon <5hats@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 19:54:30 -0700

Lars,
Historically, before firearms were in the possession of the general populace, in Europe wolves were well known in areas also inhabited by humans. The expression, "The wolf at the door" did not arise from fairy tales.

Darrel
On 3/22/2015 7:45 PM, Lars Per Norgren wrote:
Wolves are breeding in metropolitain Oslo, were attacking sheep in Champagne last summer.
Multiple people were attacked by wild boar in city parks in Sweden last summer. A
wolverine comes to mind living off waffles discarded through a kitchen window of a busy
restaurant in Trondheim. Then there are the leopards of the Deccan Traps in India, but
they're not birds. Sea Eagles are not only nesting in se Norway, but in the Netherlands
(after a 300 year hiatus). I could go on all night with this purely anecdotal stuff, all
of it highly aggravating "experts" entrenched in  the old school. A recent
article in Science shows the wolf population in the EU to be higher than the continental
US. These findings were hotly disputed by folks who like to think large predators can
only thrive in wilderness or at least areas with low human population densities.
         I'm not advocating complacency over the threat to biodiversity. The
situation is dire. BUT there is an enormous amount of good news . I find it
remarkable that many proponents of wildlife are eager to dismiss this good
news. The Ravens in Portland are truly part of a global trend.  Lars
On Mar 22, 2015, at 5:49 PM, Joel Geier wrote:

All manner of charismatic mega fauna are adapting and thriving in
urbanized areas throughout the industrial world.
  -
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

---