[obol] Re: Charismatic megafauna in urbanized areas, really?

  • From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 19:45:53 -0700

Wolves are breeding in metropolitain Oslo, were attacking sheep in Champagne
last summer. Multiple people were attacked by wild boar in city parks in Sweden
last summer. A wolverine comes to mind living off waffles discarded through a
kitchen window of a busy restaurant in Trondheim. Then there are the leopards
of the Deccan Traps in India, but they're not birds. Sea Eagles are not only
nesting in se Norway, but in the Netherlands (after a 300 year hiatus). I could
go on all night with this purely anecdotal stuff, all of it highly aggravating
"experts" entrenched in  the old school. A recent article in Science shows the
wolf population in the EU to be higher than the continental US. These findings
were hotly disputed by folks who like to think large predators can only thrive
in wilderness or at least areas with low human population densities.
        I'm not advocating complacency over the threat to biodiversity. The
situation is dire. BUT there is an enormous amount of good news . I find it
remarkable that many proponents of wildlife are eager to dismiss this good
news. The Ravens in Portland are truly part of a global trend.  Lars