[obol] Re: Cell phones and Malheur

  • From: Clarice Clark <qblater@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rabican1@xxxxxxxxx" <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>, "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 14:09:48 -0700 (PDT)

I use an Ipad with Verizon and and Iphone with ATT when doing surveys at
Malheur.  I have had good luck with the Ipad anywhere on the refuge (I use
Google Earth in the field for coordinates, requiring an internet connection),
including Diamond Craters and out at double O.  I have more trouble with the
cell phone connection, and have found pretty much the same results as described
by Alan, but I will add that both systems work at double O.  There is a cell
phone tower "farm" above highway 205 about straight west of Benson Pond, Boca
Lake, that area, which gives good coverage for both systems for the south part
of the refuge. When I stay at HQ I have to search around to get a cell phone
connection, and sometimes I have "bars" but still get no connection (ATT). The
Verizon Ipad has worked where ever I have tried it there for internet
connection (when at P Ranch that is my only internet tool,using Verizon, as
there is no WiFi there unless you go to some
 spots in Frenchglen). (but I don't know if the connection would be the same
for voice communication).  I haven't used either much out at Diamond, however I
know it takes a while for me to get text messages out there.

Clarice Clark/JerryBroadus
Puyallup, WA 98371