[obol] Scrub Jay interactions

  • From: Norgren Family <gnorgren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 14:15:42 -0700

qqqqqqq iiiiiiiiiiii rrrrrr
   Speaking of unexpected Aphelacoma
actions:  While doing my daily workout
on the Banks-Vernonia State Linear Park
today (5/15) I noticed a Kestrel hovering
over a fallow field at mp4.5. Then a similar
sized, long-tailed bird approached it. The
Kestrel was much higher above the ground than
I am accustomed to, more like Kite height, and
the approaching bird went towards it in level
flight, apparently having left a tree along
the path.
    It made a single pass at the kestrel,which
seemed to ignore it. Then it flew back to the
hedgerow, and for the first time (very poor
light, incipient rain)I saw that it was a
Scrub Jay. The Kestrel made an unsuccessful
stoop into the weeds, then flew to the same
general part of the hedgerow as the jay before
resuming the hunt. The Scrub Jay had flown well
over 100m out into a large field, maybe 30m
above the ground.
   I went back to my shop to get a binocular.
The Kestrel was still hovering when I returned
ten minutes later. It was a male. I suspect
most females in nw Oregon are incubating right
now. Lars