[obol] Re: Black Vented Shearwater

  • From: Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 09:44:35 -0700

They do have similar plumages but BV's are much smaller. Flight style is not
as slow and leisurely.

I think of the small shearwaters like Cooper's Hawks in flight style. BV's
have cleaner, brighter flanks contrasting with back and all gray bill..

Need to study all the common shearwater whenever you can.

Bob Archer
Pdx

On Oct 10, 2015, at 9:34 AM, David and Ellen Morrison <14elmo50@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

How are you distinguishing them from Pink Footed? I was in a great flock of
Shearwaters in September while fishing. They were mostly Sooty but I saw some
Bullers and other light underwing types. I did see some pink feet (they were
real close). Thanks. Dave