[obol] Re: Black Butte Swamp thrush question

  • From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 09:48:24 -0700

Hi -

I agree with Dave in just about everything he said.  A little more info on
3 points:

1.  There are in fact serious rumblings about splitting Swainson's
Thrushes.  A few years ago a graduate student in California (I think
Berkeley but may have misremembered) studied thrushes in the high Sierras,
and found overlap or near overlap without interbreeding.  She wrote that
they appeared to be acting as separate species, but that "more study was
needed."  I am  anticipating seeing more on this in the near future.  If we
did find areas with both in Oregon (e.g. east slope of the Cascades?) they
might be very informative.

2.  In Oregon, as Dave stated, Townsend's/Hermit Warblers as breeding birds
act as an east-west pair, with Townsends basically from the east side of
the Cascades in Central Oregon east through the Ochocos and Blue Mts. into
the northern Rockies.  However, in Washington, it's a north-south
phenomenon, with Townsend's to the north of Hermits both in the Olympics
and the Cascades.  If I remember correctly, Townsends breed right out to
the coast in British Columbia, so they have a much broader habitat
tolerance.

3.  I have not learned how to distinguish the kinds of White-breasted
Nuthatches.  I have photos from Cabin Lake which I assumed are tenuissima.
 When I see Steve Mlodinow's article I'll try to verify that.

Wayne