[obol] Bend - Alfalfa Raptor Survey

  • From: "Kim Boddie" <kcboddie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "COBOL sightings" <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "OBOL Sightings" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 11:30:36 -0800

Yesterday (Sat.) I drove 76.4 miles under P. Cloudy skies, 1-5 mph winds and
temps. between 14 and 25 degrees F.  I counted 8 raptor species for a total of
77 birds.  The highlights were having an immature Goshawk fly down the road
toward me and right over my head.  The other was having an immature Ferruginous
Hawk sitting on an irrigation pivot right next to the road.  I obtained the
best Ferruginous photo I have.  I also got some pretty good looks at a dark
morph Rough-legged Hawk, no photos.  I also found one of the few Merlin found
on the route.  It was within sight of my house as I finished the route.
I also saw an immature Northern Shrike on an overhead wire, got photo, 2 flocks
of Horned Larks that were too far away in hay stubble to see if there were any
other northern visitors joining them.  A first on the route were 15 elk in an
Alfalfa hayfield.

Raptors counted:  Red-tailed Hawk - 52; American Kestrel - 13; Adult Bald Eagle
- 3; Rough-legged Hawk -5; Ferruginous Hawk - 1; Prairie Falcon - 1; Merlin -
1; Northern Goshawk - 1.

Kim Boddie
Bend