Re: [nvda-translations] About the Release

  • From: James Teh <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-translations@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 12:49:26 +1000

Sorry, but we won't accept this change, particularly as this release has already been delayed long enough. If you had been able to just fix the one issue reported by users, the change would have been approved. However, I'm not willing to accept a change which touches strings that don't critically need to be fixed. This opens us up to further regressions and sets a bad precedent.

This is not in any way suggesting that your contribution is not important. We very much appreciate the fantastic work done by our translators. We hope you will understand that in order to ensure the best possible quality, we need to have very strict policies around release candidates and releases.

Thanks for your understanding.

Jamie

On 4/09/2014 12:08 PM, Marlin Rodrigues wrote:
Hi Mesar,

For a matter of consistency, all of them are required.

On 03/09/2014 18:09, Mesar Hameed wrote:
Hi Marlin,

the differences between the nvda.po in svn and the one in rc are as
follows:

difference 1

  #. Translators: a message reported in the SetColumnHeader script for
Excel.
  #. Translators: a message reported in the SetRowHeader script for
Excel.
  #. Translators: a message reported in the SetColumnHeader script for
Microsoft Word.
  #. Translators: a message reported in the SetRowHeader script for
Microsoft Word.
  msgid ""
  "Cannot set headers. Please enable reporting of table headers in
Document "
  "Formatting Settings"
  msgstr ""
-"Não foi possível estabelecer os cabeçalhos. Por favor habilite o
anúncio de "
+"Não foi possível definir os cabeçalhos. Por favor habilite o anúncio
de "
  "cabeçalhos de tabelas nas opções de formatação de documentos"

difference 2:

  #. Translators: a message reported in the SetColumnHeader script for
Excel.
  msgid "Set {address} as start of column headers"
-msgstr "{address} colocado como início dos cabeçalhos de coluna"
+msgstr "{address} definido como início dos cabeçalhos de coluna"

difference 3:

  msgid ""
  "Pressing once will set this cell as the first column header for any
cells "
  "lower and to the right of it within this region. Pressing twice
will forget "
  "the current column header for this cell."
  msgstr ""
-"Pressionar uma vez colocará esta célula como o primeiro cabeçalho de
coluna "
-"de qualquer célula abaixo e à direita da mesma nesta região.
Pressionar duas "
-"vezes causa o esquecimento do cabeçalho de coluna atual desta célula."
+"Pressionando uma vez, colocará esta célula como o primeiro cabeçalho
de "
+"coluna de qualquer célula abaixo e à direita da mesma nesta região. "
+"Pressionando duas vezes, anula a configuração."

difference 4:

  #. Translators: a message reported in the SetRowHeader script for
Excel.
  msgid "Set {address} as start of row headers"
-msgstr "{address} colocado como início dos cabeçalhos de linha"
+msgstr "{address} definido como início dos cabeçalhos de linha"

difference 5

  msgid ""
  "Pressing once will set this cell as the first row header for any
cells lower "
  "and to the right of it within this region. Pressing twice will
forget the "
  "current row header for this cell."
  msgstr ""
-"Pressionar uma vez colocará esta célula como o primeiro cabeçalho de
linha "
-"de qualquer célula abaixo e à direita da mesma nesta região.
Pressionar duas "
-"vezes causa o esquecimento do cabeçalho de linha atual desta célula."
+"Pressionando uma vez, colocará esta célula como o primeiro cabeçalho
de "
+"linha de qualquer célula abaixo e à direita da mesma nesta região. "
+"Pressionando duas vezes, anula a configuração."
  difference 6

  #. Translators: a message reported in the SetColumnHeader script for
Microsoft Word.
  msgid "Set row {rowNumber} column {columnNumber} as start of column
headers"
  msgstr ""
-"Configurada linha {rowNumber} coluna {columnNumber} como início dos "
-"cabeçalhos de coluna"
+"Definida linha {rowNumber} coluna {columnNumber} como início dos
cabeçalhos "
+"de coluna"

difference 7

  #. Translators: a message reported in the SetRowHeader script for
Microsoft Word.
  msgid "Set row {rowNumber} column {columnNumber} as start of row
headers"
  msgstr ""
-"Configurada linha {rowNumber} coluna {columnNumber} como início dos "
-"cabeçalhos de coluna"
+"Definida linha {rowNumber} coluna {columnNumber} como início dos
cabeçalhos "
+"de linha"

question:
out of these 7 differences, are all of them required, if not which once
are needed? (the smaller the better)

thanks,
Mesar
On Mon 01/09/14,04:45, Marlin Rodrigues wrote:
Hello,

You are right, I've sent the wrong message, but the mistake really
exists.
Anyway, I'd prefer you update nvda.po, as the new messages are more
consistent.

On 01/09/2014 04:32, James Teh wrote:
The message for Microsoft Word is actually:
"Set row {rowNumber} column {columnNumber} as start of row headers"
which also seems to have a similar error:
"Configurada linha {rowNumber} coluna {columnNumber} como início dos"
"cabeçalhos de coluna"
Also, this message:
"Set {address} as start of row headers"
is actually translated in this version as:
"{address} colocado como início dos cabeçalhos de linha"
so the wording has been changed even aside from the error. This
makes it
difficult for me to determine which changes absolutely must be
merged and
how to merge them.

Jamie

On 1/09/2014 5:04 PM, Marlin Rodrigues wrote:
Hi Jamie,

When I press NVDA+shift+r in Microsoft Word, the message should be:

Set {address} as start of row headers
In Portuguese: definido {address} como início dos cabeçalhos de linha.

I accidentally translated as:
definido {address} como início dos cabeçalhos de coluna, which means:
Set {address} as start of column headers.

I think this is an important thing, as the user can feel confused when
pressing this command.

Thanks

On 31/08/2014 20:05, James Teh wrote:
Hi.
Looking at the differences (and using Google Translate a bit), it
seems not all of them are just changes from row to column or vice
versa. I'd prefer to only accept major problematic changes for the rc
at this point. Can you provide the English message(s) for the
string(s) that have major problems?

Thanks,
Jamie

On 1/09/2014 8:45 AM, Marlin Rodrigues wrote:
Hi Jamie,

It's not a critical problem, but can confuse the users, as row has
been
changed to column in a string concerning reading table row/column
headers.

On 31/08/2014 19:40, James Teh wrote:
Hi.
How critical is the problem? Does it cause a crash or some other
kind
of very serious usability issue? We generally don't commit anything
other than crash fixes or serious regressions once we go to rc.

Jamie

On 1/09/2014 8:35 AM, Marlin Rodrigues wrote:
Hi Mesar,

Are you planing a new commit before the release.
I need you do this, because I fixed an important mistake in
nvda.po.

Thanks

--
Cumprimentos,