[north-takoma] Re: Fwd: Takoma Metro site development plans: 350-380 apartments + retail

  • From: Paul Chrostowski <paul.chrostowski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "north-takoma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <north-takoma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 12:05:11 -0400

Have to disagree on this.  Construction greenhouse gas emissions are a significant source here.  I have run the math on several of these large developments—amounts of GHG from the construction process and embodied in materials are truly staggering. We don’t benefit climate by ignoring these emissions.  There is also the urban heat island that will be exacerbated by these projects, not to mention hundreds of additional cars pouring out into the streets. There are also questions about stormwater runoff and management (most of which will be done by Takoma Park MD) and emission of criteria air pollutants.  Note that the Blairs in SS are a good example of the failure of transit oriented development to mitigate car pollution.  None of these projects even have an environmental impact assessment so that people can decide if they fit in with climate action plans.  My testimony on the previous development compelled an environmental impact assessment but I don’t have the time or inclination to go through that again.

Paul C

Sent from Mail for Windows